Saturday, December 17, 2011

I really have been cooking...

Despite my lack of posting recently, I have been cooking.  Cooking and cooking and cooking.  It's the holiday season after all!  Here's a list of things recently made and my critique of each of them:

  • I made pumpkin bread (the recipe was for pumpkin muffins but c'mon...like I'm going to follow that?).  It turned out so well that I shared some with people at work and then sent some to my dad for Christmas.  I think what makes it so tasty is the addition of golden raisins.
  • For Thanksgiving I made my first ever real bake-it-in-the-oven cheesecake.  It was a pumpkin cheesecake for which I got the recipe off of a Philadelphia Cream Cheese advertisement.  It turned out great!
  • It's been a month of pumpkin ok?  The pumpkin risotto I made didn't taste like I expected it to.  It could have been an overabundance of parmesan, but something made it taste almost Italian-ish.  I wanted it to taste like pumpkin.  It wasn't bad, just not what I thought it would be.
  • Thursday night I thinly sliced some boneless country style pork ribs, sauteed them in a pan, then simmered in bbq sauce with a little white balsamic vinegar added (to make it more like Carolina bbq sauce).  I then toasted some awesome buns with a little cheese on them, put a big spoonful of the pork on top, and then added coleslaw.  Right. on. top.  Delish!
  • Of course, with the work potluck and all, I had to make the Rosalyn Carter Cheese Ring.  While no one believes cheese and strawberry jam will be good together, they do after they taste this.  
  • So there you have it.  Some recent cooking sessions.  Christmas Eve will be filled with skiing and a large pot of spaghetti with marinara sauce and Italian sausage.  Christmas will of course be ham-centric ;)

No comments: