Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year and New foods!

It's a new year and with that in mind I'm on a kick to try new foods.  First up:  Spaghetti Squash.  Maybe it doesn't look so great in the photo, but let me tell you it is really tasty and super easy to prepare.  All I did here was cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds and other gross squash intestines.  Then I rubbed on a little olive oil.  I placed 1/2 of the squash cut side down in a pyrex dish with 1/4 cup water and covered it tightly with plastic wrap.  I microwaved it for 13 minutes.  In the meantime I threw my favorite quick and healthy fish (SeaCuisine Brand) in the oven and chopped up some broccoli.  While the broccoli steamed and the fish cooked I made a little marinara sauce with some oregano, garlic, olive oil and crushed tomatoes.  I let this simmer while everything else cooked.  Once the first squash half was done I took it out and then took the fork and ran it lengthwise down the squash.  The most amazing thing happened!  It really did make spaghetti strands!  It was the coolest thing. So while the second one cooked I fluffed up the strands of spaghetti squash and topped them with marinara.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up that squash at the store. 

Friends have said they also eat the spaghetti squash like they would butternut squash:  with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

I'm definitely on a vegetables kick lately.  Not a vegetarian kick, but a vegetables kick.  Salads, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, squash, potatoes, peas...and I'm attempting to nurture a renewed interest in fruit.  I got hooked on raspberries a few weeks ago and before that it was clementines.  Next I might start adding half a grapefruit to breakfast.

On tonight's menu?  Another SeaCuisine fish - cod with lemon, herbs and something else... These are often on sale at one of the local grocery stores, they're low in calories and they are so easy to prepare.  You don't even have to thaw them!  My favorites are the mediterranean crusted salmon and the tortilla crusted tilapia.  You just preheat the oven, pop them on a sheet pan and cook them for 30 minutes.  Quick, healthy and tasty!

No comments: