Tuesday, April 13, 2010

2 for 1!

Double Double Butter Cake
This past week I got the chance to go back to my hometown and see my family. My dad's birthday was Sunday so I helped my Mom bake Dad's cake while my sister was busy prepping for the rest of dinner--making salads! Mom read her recipe and mixed in the shortening and flour, and I cracked the 5 eggs (each one in the bowl, then in the mixing bowl...wouldn't want to have a bad egg!) After the 1 hr and 20 minutes that the cake was supposed to cook it was still soupy...hmmmm..."What did we do wrong?" Neither of us could figure it out, so we set the timer for another 30 minutes and went to the store. When we came back the cake had fallen--instead of being puffy and fluffy, it was sunken and lumpy. So Mom took it out and tried to flip the cake over onto a plate. It fell everywhere! The entire kitchen counter was covered with cake! Here's what you do when that happens:


So, we tasted the cake--it was still really good! We made the brown sugar glaze and poured it over the crumbled cake in the dish. It may not have been pretty but it tastes good. So what did we do wrong? Well, this sort of thing is what happens when you accidentally use TWICE the amount of shortening that you need. Lesson learned (MOM).

Going meatless

I like to have vegetarian days. I don't know if I could ever be a vegetarian 100% of the time, but I like to find other ways to get protein that just eating meat. Some days I do better than others. Yesterday at the airport I managed to find a great little sandwich shop with a fabulous "Colorado Sunshine" sandwich. Avocado, sprouts, cucumber, pickles, tomato, cheese, and lettuce make a great vegetarian sandwich! Today I wanted to continue the theme so for dinner I made mushroom and roasted artichoke pizza. It's not hard and it tastes great! Roasting is a fabulously easy way to cook veggies. All I did was drain about 5 artichoke hearts, cut them in half, drizzle olive oil on them, add salt and pepper and roast them at 450 for about 10 minutes. If you're cooking something tougher, like brussels sprouts, you'd want to use a bit of a lower temp for a longer period of time.

Anyway, we had some new store-bought pizza crusts that weren't fabulous...but they held the toppings :) Pizza is an awesomely easy way to go--you can put almost anything on a pizza crust and it will most likely taste great!

No comments: