Monday, April 5, 2010

To Dine out, or not to Dine out?

Recently, after a bad experience at a new Chinese restaurant, I struggled again with a theory...food cooked at home (unless you're a really bad cook) is almost always better tasting and better for you than food cooked elsewhere. Now, I'll be the first to admit that's not true 100% of the time (hence the reason for the "almost" in my hypothesis). When it comes to pizza, Pablo's and the Hot Tomato here in Grand Junction and Fruita respectively will beat me every time at pizza. But Dominos? Pizza Hut? No. Mine tastes like I want it to and has probably pretty natural ingredients on it.

Chinese? Well, I haven't found a place that I just love for chinese here...Sushi, yes. Chinese--well, I think the Lemon Chicken I make at home is better! I know I can make crab rangoon, and I"m pretty damn sure I can make spring rolls and egg rolls. I make a tasty sesame noodle dish too--with WHOLE WHEAT noodles!

Still struggling with bbq, but this summer we'll perfect ribs for sure! All I'm saying is that sometimes, when you want some particular type of food-whether it's Italian, Mexican, or Thai, find a recipe online and try to make something yourself!

Here's a simple sort-of Thai recipe:

Cook any type of basic pasta (whole wheat is best): penne, spaghetti noodles, or rigatoni are best. Then chop and saute a chicken breast (free range or organic if you can get it) and veggies like snow peas, broccoli, pepper, onion...until done with some olive oil, a chopped clove of garlic and salt and pepper. Mix it with the pasta when everything is done and the pasta is drained. On the Asian food aisle of most grocery stores you can find Spicy Peanut Sauce. Shake it alllll over the noodles and mix it up! The more you add, the spicier it'll be! Sprinkle a little cilantro on top and you're good to go without the take out!

No comments: