Monday, May 9, 2011

Fried Rice made with Brown Rice and....Tofu!

That's right I said it.  Tofu!  Once you've had the deep-fried sesame tofu at Zen Garden, you realize tofu can, in fact, be tasty.  Voodoo Biker and I agreed yesterday to again try to cut back on meat, so I figured what the heck?  He wanted brown rice and a stir-fry/fried rice dish seemed appropriate. 

I used extra firm tofu.  Drain all the water out.  I only used half.  Make sure that when you cut slices, you lay them on paper towels so that any excess water can drain out.  Pat the pieces dry very well!

I used my basting brush to dab Yoshida's Teriyaki Marinade on both sides.  You can use Kikkoman or whatever, but make sure it's a marinade and not just the regular teriyaki sauce.

Next I breaded the tofu in Panko bread crumbs (you can find them in the Asian section).  I added about 1/2 tsp garlic powder and powdered ginger to the breadcrumbs before coating.

Heat about 4 tbsp vegetable oil in a wok or large, deep pan.  Cook the tofu for about 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 2-3 until it's brown all the way around.

Take out the tofu, add a little more oil, and stir fry whatever veggies you want.  I used about 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup onion, 1/2 cup - 1 cup red bell pepper, and about 1/2 cup sugar snap peas.  Add in 2 tsp grated fresh ginger and about 1 tbsp teriyaki marinade.  Cook quickly over medium-medium high heat for about 6 minutes.  Remove the veggies and throw in 1 cracked egg.  Stir quickly, pan-scrambling.  After you remove the egg, add a little more oil to the pan and then add leftover, or refrigerated rice.  (Same amount you'd normally make - 1 cup dry).  Continually stir the rice for a few minutes.  Add in 1 tbsp teriyaki marinade.  Take the rice off the heat and add the veggies and egg back in.  Mix everything together.  Top with the tofu and then drizzle with about 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce and 1 tsp red pepper flakes.

No comments: