Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fall Corn Chowder

I sort of kind of made this corn chowder recipe last night from the USA Weekend newspaper insert...Creamless Corn Chowder.  I say "sort-of-kind-of" because once I got home and started looking at it I realized I did not have time to grill the veggies.  So instead I followed the "short cut" version's suggestion of sauteing the onions, peppers, etc. with the bacon.  I didn't puree the corn either.  I cut the corn off the cob and then used a spoon to scrape the yummy milky goodness out of the cobs as well.  I added 4 medium-hot roasted green chilis as well.  SO, in a nutshell, here's what I did...

I chopped up 4 slices of bacon and started frying them in a pan.  I added 1/2 of a large Vidalia onion and 1/2 of a green bell pepper once the bacon was almost done.  I also added in 4 chopped green chilis.  In a separate pot I added 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup milk.  I chopped 3 small potatoes and 1 large potato fairly small and added that to the pot.  Then while that was coming to a boil, I cut the corn off of 4 ears and scraped out the corn milk too.  I added all that to the pot of boiling broth/milk/potatoes and let it cook (stirring frequently) until the potatoes were soft.  I added lots of salt and black pepper.  Once the potatoes were pretty soft I used the potato masher to smoosh the potatoes up a little bit and make the chowder a little smoother.  Then I dumped in all the peppers, onions, bacon and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  To serve I added hot sauce and a side of cheese and chipolte salsa quesadillas.  I will definitely be making this soup again!

No comments: