Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gringo Chile Rellenos and more uses for roasted green chiles...

I didn't know roasted green chiles were a popular item until I moved to Western Colorado.  Here we all await late July because we know that the Hatch green chiles will soon be roasting at all the farm stands in the area.  There is nothing like pulling up to your favorite produce stand and seeing a giant roasting drum outside.  You just know it's green chile season!  Bags and bags of warm, freshly roasted peppers lined the table at my favorite stand just yesterday.  An old farmer stood there labeling, bagging and sealing quarts of deliciousness.  Before November I'll have the freezer stocked with several bags of these awesome delicacies.
         Roasted green chiles have a very distinct flavor, I think.  There's a hint of smokiness along with a peppery bite.  They are soft and silky.  Some are hotter than others, but there's nothing that can replace the taste of a fresh green chile in a burrito, in scrambled eggs, or even in an eggroll wrapper.  What's that you say?  An eggroll wrapper?  Oh yes.
    This is a bag of green chiles before I peeled and de-seeded them.

    A lovely roasted green chile - peeled but with seeds still inside.  These come out very easily.  We usually split our chiles down the middle and rinse the seeds out.
        

    These are Voodoo Biker's "Gringo Chile Rellenos" before they are cooked.  They are eggroll wrappers filled with a green chile and a nice slice of pepperjack cheese.  You just roll them up and brown them in about 1 tbsp oil.

    Nicely browned Gringo Rellenos!

    How awesome does that look?  Gooey cheese, a beautiful green chile...mmmm!

         Even though I could eat these for days on end, we do find plenty of other uses for green chiles.


    Green chile creamed corn:  This is best with Olathe sweet corn :)  I cut the corn off the cob, then use the back of a spoon to get all the "milk" out of each ear of corn.  Then I saute onions and garlic in 2 tbsp butter, add in the corn, and a splash of chicken broth.  I let all that cook for a few minutes, until the broth is absorbed.  Then I add in about 1/2 cup of chopped green chiles and a lot of salt and black pepper.

    Corn cut from the cob is on the right.  "Milk" from the cob is on the left.

    Mexican flatbread (aka pizza).  For this I use the Santa Fe blend of Philly Cooking Creme as the sauce.  Then I top the pizza with red onions, red bell pepper, green chiles and cojita cheese (and of course a little mozarella).

          You can also add them to scrambled eggs with cheese, turkey sandwiches, burgers...the list goes on!  I think my favorite ways to eat them are the simplest - wrapped in an eggroll wrapper, sprinkled in a quesadilla... But however you enjoy them, make sure you do it before the season is over!

      No comments: