Saturday, April 9, 2011

Apple Sauce Oatmeal "kitchen sink" cookies

Really, I do actually start things with a recipe.  I just rarely follow it exactly.  Take today for example:  I planned on making "Peanut Butter Oatmeal Ranch Cookies."  Then I had some leftover Thai stuff for lunch with peanut sauce and decided I'd had enough peanutty taste for one day.  So what I ended up with were these:

Getting ready for the oven
Yummy!  Cooling off.

Here is the original recipe, with my substitutions in italics.  
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick)
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 stick salted butter, softened (Mine was most likely unsalted...I'm not looking at the box so I can't be sure.)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I substituted 2 tbsp canola oil and enough applesauce to make 1/2 cup total - that's oil + apple sauce combined.  Unsweetened apple sauce.)
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
6 ounces raisins (about 1 cup) (1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips)
3 ounces sunflower seeds (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat the oven to 300.  Combine the dry ingredients (flours, oats, baking powder) and whisk a bit.  In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, softened butter, apple sauce/oil (or peanut butter), honey, eggs and vanilla at medium speed until everything is blended together.  Add the dry ingredients + sunflower seeds, raisins, and chocolate chips to the wet mix.  Mix just until combined (I do this with a spoon, but you can do it with a mixer as well.) 

Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the bottoms are browned.  These won't spread out a lot, as you can see from the picture above, but they are super good!  If my calculations are close to correct (and they very well may not be), they had somewhere between 75-100 calories each, depending on how many you make.  I made 39.

I think you can probably add anything to these as long as you keep about the same measurements...coconut, pecans, dried fruit...whatever you like!












No comments: