Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chimichurri and Chipotle

   *Excuse the photos.  I couldn't find my camera and had to use Voodoo Biker's. I'm not used to it!*  Ok, I'll admit it - I like Guy Fieri.  I think he's hilarious and I love watching "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives."  Even the Voodoo Biker likes that show!  Therefore, last night before bed we found ourselves watching an episode in which he visits a place that only cooks fish.  One of the things they make a lot of?  Fish tacos.  Here in the condo, we love fish tacos.  All day today I craved fish tacos.  So I thought, "well I guess that's what we're having for dinner!"  I also decided that I wanted to make chimichurri sauce.  I had seen a recipe on the NYTimes website recently and then saw another on the Food Network.  I had had it before and remembered really liking it, so I thought...why not?

     I had 2 flounder fillets in the freezer and a whole bag of raw easy peel shrimp.  I find the pre-cooked shrimp seem too watery and they have a weird texture.  The raw ones seem much better to me.  Anyway, I set out about 2 cups of shrimp and the 2 flounder fillets to thaw and got started on the chimichurri because it needs a little time to set and kind of infuse itself with flavor.
     

So, you'll need 1 cup (packed) chopped parsley

1/4 cup chopped cilantro (you can see I used a little more)

2 peeled cloves of garlic; 1/2 cup olive oil; 1/3 cup red wine or white wine vinegar; a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, cumin, and salt

Blend everything in the food processor and then taste.  I added a tad more oil and herbs to mine. 

I spooned a little chimichurri on my fish and shrimp and then grilled them for approximately 2 minutes on each side.

In the mean time my corn tortillas got all toasty in the oven.

I melted cheese on my tortillas and then added shrimp to one and flounder to one.

Next, I topped each with chimichurri sauce, chipolte cream sauce (chipolte in adobo pepppers and sour cream mixed in the food processor), chopped onion, and coleslaw mix (cabbage).

Fish tacos are much better with a "diet" margarita!  1 shot of tequila and triple sec (3/4 tequila, 1/4 triple sec), a big squirt of lemon juice, and diet 7-up.  Don't frown on my cheap tequila - if you're adding all that stuff to  it you don't need the super expensive stuff ;)

These fish tacos were SO good.  The sauces were good, the grilled fish was great, and my craving has been taken care of for another week or so...

No comments: