Saturday, June 4, 2011

Greek without pics

And once again I forgot to take pictures.  I DID take a picture of the salad, but not of anything else.  Sigh.  I've got to get better at this!  Suffice it to say tonight's dinner was Greek inspired.  We had a Greek chopped salad, Greek pizza, and "Baklava" ice cream.  I'll try to recreate the recipes for you (there was also a lot of beer which is why I almost spelled recipes, "recipeas.")

Salad:
Cucumber (English, preferably)
1 lb small golden cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
1 heirloom tomato (I got a cool green one)
1 plum or roma tomato
1/2 red onion, soaked in ice water for 5 min.
Mix all that together then add:  1/2 block of feta cheese and about the same of goat cheese, if available.

Dressing:

Olive oil
Lemon juice
splash balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove
1 tsp oregano

I cannot tell you how much olive oil and lemon juice...2 to 1 is the ratio I think, so follow that until it tastes right.  Oh, and add salt and pepper!

Pizza:  1 whole wheat pizza crust (or whatever you have)
sauce:  tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce is what I use)
toppings: goat cheese, red onion, spinach, artichokes in oil, mushrooms, 1 sliced plum tomato with seeds removed, mozarella

Cook according to crust directions.

Ice cream:  Your favorite vanilla ice cream.  Toast walnuts in toaster oven or pan until lightly browned.  Sprinkle nuts with cinnamon (about 1/2 tsp).  Put 2 scoops ice cream in a bowl or cup.  Top with toasted walnuts and honey.  Everyone will love you and say things like, "I'm never brushing my teeth again!"  (Direct quote from Brooke B.)!!!!

No comments: