Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How I spent my lunch break

It's feast or famine some days at my job...today is a famine day...until the next RFP comes in or something...anyway.  I headed home for lunch today wondering, among other things, what I was going to make for dinner.  Today is one of those days when I have plans to bike after work and therefore don't have much time to cook dinner.  But I am determined to continue my efforts to cook something on these nights - not call Nick and Willy's or Papa Murphy's for a take-and-bake pizza.

I decided to make some pesto.  It's fairly quick to whip up in the food processor and you guys know how I love pesto!  I'm calling this one "Four Herb Sunflower Pesto."  So when I get home tonight I'll cook some pasta, sautee some cherry tomatoes with garlic just until they pop (might throw in some anchovies) and then I'll add some feta cheese to it all and mix in the pesto.  Ta-da!

Clockwise from Top Left:  Curly leaf Parsley, Italian Parsley, Basil, Tarragon

Throw a bunch of it in the food processor.  This probably equals 1 1/2 cups. There is also a clove of garlic in there.

Once you pulse that a bit, add about another 1/2 cup of herbs, 2 tbsp each parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds (or walnuts, or pistachios, or pine nuts...)

Ooooh.  Ahhhh.  This is after you've streamed in at least 1/4 cup olive oil.


I added about 1 tsp lemon juice to help keep it from getting brownish before dinner.  It's such a pretty color!

Then I made cinnamon iced coffee.  This is 3 heaping spoonfuls of coffee and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  I added about 10 oz water and let it steep for 6 min.  Then I poured the coffee over a travel mug full of ice with 1/4 cup of vanilla soy milk added.  Perfect pick-me-up after lunch!

No comments: