Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blueberry Coffee Cake - my redemption

     After the huge FAIL of my fresh blueberry muffins the other night, I was more determined than ever to make an awesome recipe with blueberries in it.  I found Ellie Krieger's Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe on the Food Network website.  I made it today and I must say, it is awesome!

My (very few) modifications are in ().  You will need:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted because we were out.)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp room temperature butter
2 tbsp oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I used lowfat)
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen ones that have been thawed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray (I used a round springform pan.).

Whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, the baking sode and salt.  In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter and oil until fluffy.  If necessary, use a spoon to press out any lumps in the brown sugar.  Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time., beating until fully combined.  Beat in the vanilla and yogurt.

Add the flour in two batches, stirring until just combined.

Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.  (I sprayed my spatula with cooking spray to make it easier to spread the thick batter.)  Sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the batter and top with the blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter.  Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothng the top.  Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake, pressing gently.  Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.  Let cook slightly and then invert and unmold to allow complete cooling on a cooling rack (this is optional, but I did do that with the springform pan). Makes approximately 12 servings.

No comments: