Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Blog Mondays

I read this blog by John Douglas Marshall the other day: Three Overlooked Gems and decided I needed some new reading material. For a while now I've been wading through Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and Pete Dexter's Spooner. Still, I found myself losing interest. There's only so much cattle feed lot, corn fed everything I can take before I have to move on...don't get me wrong, I like what Pollan has to say, but I have to take it in small doses so as not to throw out everything in my cabinets and go digging in the dirt for food.

Spooner is a great book. It's got quirky characters, great southern charm at the beginning, and some interesting conflicts...but about 2/3 of the way through I start to wonder where it's going and why I'm going there with it. The story seems to come to a stand still and just doesn't move anymore.

SO, after reading Marshall's blog, I ordered 2 of the 3 books: A Sudden Country and Trauma Farm. I like the sound of the first one because it seems to be more of a young-adult novel and I can always use those for my work over at Gourmet Learning, Inc.. I like history and the ideas in this novel fit what I was looking for. The second one sounds like a great, down-to-earth, honest look at farm life. That sounds more entertaining than a lot of fiction I read! So I'm continuing to wade through my other two choices while i wait, not so patiently, for these new ones to arrive!

No comments: